If the overindulgence of Christmas has inspired you to get fit in early 2017, we’ve got you covered.
Whether it’s the best fitness band to keep a track of your steps or a new treadmill for your home, we’ve rounded up all our top features into one handy guide.
Let’s kick off our ultimate fitness gear guide with five top tips from Nick Anderson. He’s a GB and EA running coach, PT, plus a coach for Saucony, High5, and the Running Bug. So basically, somebody who knows a lot about running!
Nick’s best running tips
- Enter a race or an event. This gives you a goal and real target, date and objective to work towards.
- Get a plan towards this goal or event and choose one thats realistic. It could be written by a top coach and aimed at your ability, pace and experience making it achievable.
- Surround yourself with positive people when chasing the resolution. This could mean training with friends or a running group to make your plan fun. Equally it could be buddying up with a friend to go to the gym or a new conditioning class.
- Join one of the communities aimed at supporting you and your new year resolution/pledge. RunningBug offer Run Yourself New and there is also the Jantastic community.
- Remind yourself why you set the resolution and how you were feeling at the time. We often get more time over the festive season in the build up to New Year to assess our lives, goals and direction. Then when New Year arrives we abandon the resolution as already too busy. Think about how you felt and ring fence the time to make this resolution work each day and week…..running just 3 times a week can see fantastic result for example!
Now read on for all the fitness gear you need in your life, from fitness bands to mobile apps
Best running shoes to buy
Picking up a great pair of running shoes is essential to ensuring your fitness regime goes to plan and we’ve tested a whole load of the best. Aside from making sure your feet are comfortable, a great pair of running trainers should offer support, let your feet breath and boast some extra nifty bits of tech to round things off. We’ve also got some top tips on choosing the right pair of shoes for your running style.
Read: best running shoes
Best running headphones
So, you’ve got your sparkly new fitness band, a treadmill for your home gym and stocked up on enough pairs of running shoes to last you the year, what else do you need? A great pair of running headphones, that’s what. Yes, we know, you could stick with the buds that came bundled with your phone, but we all know that they’re not very good. Instead, you should pick up a pair of dedicated ‘phones, which won’t fall out of your ears as soon as you start running. Many of these are resistant to sweat too, which is a must, for us anyway and they sound fantastic. Perfect for pumping out your handcrafted gym playlist.
Read: best headphones for running
Best football boots to buy
The options here range from solid, mid-range boots to wild flights of footwear tech fancy. Don’t forget to carefully choose between the various options that most of them offer with, for instance, variants for hard and soft ground. You should also probably be realistic about your skills. Having a boot that’s super-light and offers next to no protection is not a great idea if you’re not as fleet of foot as you once were. On the other hand, having a super-flash set of boots can give you added confidence and a better first touch, if you’re not completely hopeless in the first place.
Read: best football boots
Best sports sunglasses
If you’re looking for the best sports sunglasses you’ve come to the right place. We’ve put our eyes on the line testing the very best shades money can buy. Whether you’re running, cycling, golfing, or fishing this list is for you.
Read: best sports sunglasses
Our buying guides for bikes
Nothing beats buzzing around town on two wheels during the summer months. Evening pub pints with pals are made even more appealing without the worry of sweaty public transport or the ferocious cost of cabs, while the daily commute can provide some much-needed post-winter fat removal when tackled on two wheels.
We’ve collated the best of this year’s offerings under £1,500 as well as the top electric bikes, road bikes under £2,000 as well as expensive elite choices.